1 1) It surprised us that John won the marathon.
2) That John won the marathon surprised us.
3) John's winning the marathon surprised us.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，it是形式主语，真正的主语是that引导的从句John won the marathon，被后置了。在例句2）中，that引导的从句John won the marathon作主语，谓语是surprised。在例句3）中，由例句2）中的主语从句John won the marathon变为动名词的复合结构John's winning the marathon来充当句子的主语。
2 1) That he lost the game came as a surprise to everybody.
2) His losing the game came as a surprise to everybody.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的主语从句that he lost the game作主语，谓语是came。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的主语从句that he lost the game变为动名词的复合结构his losing the game来充当句子的主语。
3 1) There was no chance that Davy would come from the battle alive.
2) There was no chance of Davy coming from the battle alive.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的同位语从句Davy would come from the battle alive补充说明先行词chance，以表明chance的具体内容。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的同位语从句that Davy would come from the battle alive变为动名词的复合结构Davy coming from the battle alive，放在介词of后面，来补充说明chance。这里的of表示同位说明关系。
4 1) We were greatly encouraged by the news that China had launched another man-made satellite.
2) We were greatly encouraged by the news of China having launched another man-made satellite.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的同位语从句China had launched another man-made satellite补充说明先行词news，以表明news的具体内容。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的同位语从句China had launched another man-made satellite变为动名词的复合结构China having launched another man-made satellite，放在介词of后面，来补充说明news。这里的of表示同位说明关系。
5 1) Anyone with half an eye on the unemployment figures knew that the assertion that economic recovery would be just around the corner was untrue.
2) Anyone with half an eye on the unemployment figures knew that the assertion about economic recovery being just around the corner was untrue.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的同位语从句economic recovery would be just around the corner补充说明先行词assertion，以表明assertion的具体内容。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的同位语从句 economic recovery would be just around the corner变为动名词的复合结构economic recovery being just around the corner，放在介词about后面，来补充说明assertion。这里的about表示同位说明关系。
6 1) I consider that I will emigrate to America in the future.
2) I consider emigrating to America in the future.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的宾语从句I will emigrate to America in the future充当动词consider的宾语。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的宾语从句I will emigrate to America in the future变为动名词emigrating to America in the future。这是因为consider的后面要接动名词，不能接不定式，因此该从句要简化为动名词。
7 1) Jane's mother insisted that she should go swimming with her brother.
2) Jane's mother insisted on her going swimming with her brother.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的宾语从句she should go swimming with her brother充当动词insisted的宾语。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的宾语从句she should go swimming with her brother变为动名词的复合结构her going swimming with her brother，并且之前还添加了介词on，这是因为insist的后面要接介词on之后才能接宾语。
8 1) I hope that I can drive to work in my own car.
2) I hope to drive to work in my own car.
妙语点睛 在例句1）中，that引导的宾语从句I can drive to work in my own car充当动词hope的宾语。在例句2）中，由例句1）中的宾语从句I can drive to work in my own car变为不定式to drive to work in my own car，这是因为hope的后面要接不定式，不能接动名词，因此该从句要简化为不定式。
1. The student denied that he had cheated on the exam.
2. That the president was involved in the fraud is obvious.
3. I consider that this is a far-reaching event.
4. That he lost the game came as a surprise to everybody.
5. That he worked all night in the rain caused him to catch a bad cold.
6. The boy is worried about the possibility that he will fail in the exam.
7. That he tries sending her girlfriend flowers every day is the only way he can think of to gain her favor.
8. I remember that he once offered to help us if we ever got into trouble.
9. You must tell me the truth. I insist that you should tell the truth.
10. Nowhere in nature is aluminum found free, owing to the fact that it is always combined with other elements, most commonly with oxygen.
11. That children object to their parents remarrying has become a prevalent social problem.
12. The teacher said that he wouldn't tolerate that I arrived late every day.
13. That the girl was educated in an atmosphere of simple living was what her parents wished for.
1 1) She can't decide whether she should go with him or stay home.
2) She can't decide whether to go with him or（to）stay home.
妙语点睛 由whether引导的宾语从句whether she should go with him or stay home变为不定式whether to go with him or stay home，这里的不定式具有“应该”的情态意义。
2 1) I haven't decided whether I should vote for Clint.
2) I haven't decided whether to vote for Clint.
3 1) I don't know what I should do.
2) I don't know what to do.
妙语点睛 由what引导的宾语从句what I should do变为不定式what to do，这里的不定式具有“应该”的情态意义。
4 1) Please tell me how I can get to the bus station.
2) Please tell me how to get to the bus station.
妙语点睛 由how引导的宾语从句how I can get to the bus station变为不定式how to get to the bus station，这里的不定式具有“能够”的情态意义。
1. The plumber told me how I could fix the leak in the sink.
2. Please tell me where I should meet you.
3. I don't know whether I should believe him or not.
4. Sam is getting dressed to go to a party, but is having trouble deciding on what clothes he should wear.
5. He found two shirts he liked, but he had trouble deciding which one he should buy.
6. I was tongue-tied. I didn't know what I should say.
7. Going to the school dance is a lot of fun. But sometimes, deciding who I can go with isn't easy.
8. A: I don't know what I should buy for her birthday. Got any suggestions?
B: How about a book?